Today is President’s Day, a holiday that usually glides by without much more than a mattress or car sale to mark the occasion.
This year, though, we’re reminded that we almost had a woman president. Instead, President’s Day will continue to be a men-only affair, though there are several potential 2020 women presidential candidates.
We were sad, so we got busy and made this 2020 Dream Team slate: Five women we think have a real shot at running for president in 2020. Chip in $25 and cheer them on!
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (N.Y.), Hillary Clinton’s successor in the Senate, who has spent much of her time outside the Senate encouraging other women to run through her Off The Sidelines program. She’s also voted against more of Trump’s cabinet nominees than any other senator;
- Sen. Amy Klobuchar, (Minn.), who seems to be on everyone’s list of contenders for the top job in 2020. Her resume has also put her on lists for Supreme Court nominee and attorney general;
- Sen. Kamala Harris (Calif.), a freshman Senator with big ambitions and a record of community activism and civil rights work;
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), a progressive stalwart who lives to take on Washington’s power brokers, whether that’s the Wall Street banks, K-Street lobbyists or Donald Trump himself;
- Sen. Tammy Baldwin (Wis.), the first LGBT Senator and staunch defender of progressive values—like universal health care—in a state trending toward the GOP;
Bonus impact: four of these potential 2020 women presidential candidates—Klobuchar, Warren, Baldwin and Gillibrand—are up for re-election next year.
Happy President’s Day,
–The WomenCount Team